Website Orange Water and Sewer Authority (OWASA)
Orange Water and Sewer Authority (OWASA)
Orange Water and Sewer Authority (OWASA), Carrboro-Chapel Hill’s not-for-profit public service agency delivering high-quality water, wastewater, and reclaimed water services seeks a highly responsible, detail-oriented individual to join our Mason Farm Wastewater Treatment team as a Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator. Ideal candidate is a team player with excellent work ethic and adaptability. Candidates should have a positive attitude, excellent communication skills and the willingness to work with the team to fulfill the goals of the organization.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Maintain knowledge of the principles and practices applied to the operation and maintenance of the wastewater treatment plant.
- Ensure regulatory compliance by monitoring wastewater treatment plant processes and maintaining proper plant balance to include adjusting chemical feeds.
- Complete multiple plant inspections, collect samples, and troubleshoot processes and equipment.
- Assist with offloading bulk chemical deliveries.
- Utilize various types of machinery and equipment including SCADA, forklift, lab, and general office equipment.
- Job requires working weekends, holidays, nights, and rotating shifts.
Successful candidates should have:
- High School diploma or GED, plus specialized school and/or training in a specific area relatable to this position.
- Valid North Carolina (NC) Driver’s License.
- NC Grade 1 Wastewater Operator’s Certification or the ability to acquire it within 6 months of employment.
- One year of experience working in a wastewater treatment facility or prior knowledge, skills and abilities that may be transferrable.
- Good working knowledge of mathematics, chemistry, and bacteriology.
- Ability to maintain requirements of a safety sensitive position (cleared to wear a full-face respirator, complete HAZWOPER training, etc.); and meet the physical requirements that include frequently exerting up to 50 pounds and walking/standing often.
Team members are our most important resource. Pay and Benefits include:
- Salary Range is $54,554 – $81,830
- Membership in the NC Local Government Employee Retirement System; 5% Employer 457 Deferred
- Compensation contribution; Retirement Health Savings account
- Employer paid Health, Dental, Vision, Life insurance, Dependent Life, Long-term Disability
- Vacation, Sick, Personal, Bereavement and Parental Leave; 12 Paid Holidays
- Educational Reimbursement: Bonus Pay for Additional Certifications and/or Education
- Cell Phone Stipend
- Ability to transfer unused sick leave from preceding NC Local Government or State agency employer
OWASA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to continuous improvement, sustainability, creativity, diversity, and inclusion. OWASA does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, disability, age, or sex in administration of its programs or activities, or employment decisions. Certified Orange County Living Wage Employer. To complete an application, visit www.owasa.org. Closing date is December 1, 2023.
To apply for this job please visit www.owasa.org.