The main purpose of this job is to perform unskilled to semi-skilled work to repair and maintain the water collection and distribution systems.
Salary range, depending on experience, is $37,711.00 – $60,338.00 Annually.
To learn more (including information about benefits package) and to apply go to: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/hillsboroughnc
We are currently hiring for two Utility Maintenance Technicians. One of the positions is a locator position, with prior underground utility locating experience preferred. In addition to the representative duties below, this position will be responsible for using underground locating equipment to physically mark the town’s water and sewer features in collaboration with the NC811 system.
The following duties are representative of this position.
- Installs, repairs and maintains collection and distribution systems including making water and sewer taps, installing and exercising water valves and hydrants, installing water and sewer mains, sewer cleanouts, blow offs, meter boxes and sewer manholes, raises manholes.
- Performs hydrant flushing and valve exercising program.
- Bores under roads; sawcut roads; restores road and landscapes after work is complete.
- Performs miscellaneous duties such as general housekeeping of shop, vehicles and pump station sites, parts inventory, reads water tank levels, checks pressure at water meters in response to complaints.
- Inspects and ensures proper working safety equipment before use.
- Locates water and sewer features for planned excavations through the NC811 system.
- Maintains water main air release valves.
- May be paired with and oversee an inmate on work release.
- Serves on call, always, for emergencies.
- Uses various field and office equipment to perform work.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Technician II duties include all tasks listed above in addition to:
- May take and record weekly water distribution sampling.
- Communicates with water and sewer treatment plant personnel, as needed.
- Directs the work up to two crew members, when assigned, to perform necessary tasks.
- Supports Utilities Administration with special projects and occasional utility inspections.
Technician III duties include all takes listed above in addition to:
- Manages and operates partner utility water interconnections
- May serve as back up Operator in Responsible Charge for the collection system.
- Directs the work of up to four crew members, when assigned, to perform necessary tasks.
- Supports utility supervisor in supervisory duties, as assigned.
Technician I requires a High School Diploma and/or GED or equivalent training and experience, NC Driver’s License. Candidates must obtain a NC CDL Class A within 2 years of hire and flagger certification within 12 months of hire.
Technician II requires a High School Diploma and/or GED, two years of experience in water and wastewater or equivalent experience, a NC CDL Class A with combination endorsement, a NC Flagger Certification, and utility inspection experience is preferred.
Technician III requires a High School Diploma and/or GED, 4 years of experience in water and wastewater or equivalent experience, NC CDL Class A with combination endorsement, NC Flagger Certification, cross connection control certification preferred, and utility inspection experience preferred.
Applicants without the minimum qualifications will be considered for a trainee appointment. The trainee salary will be $35,915 and will increase to $37,711 (minimum of the salary range) when the required experience is achieved.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.